Friday, January 13, 2012

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card

Ender Wiggin is a very bright young boy with a powerful skill. One of a group of children bred to be military geniuses and save Earth from an inevitable attack by aliens, known here as "buggers," Ender becomes unbeatable in war games and seems poised to lead Earth to triumph over the buggers. Meanwhile, his brother and sister plot to wrest power from Ender. from Goodreads





 





This is a book about kids, small kids that are made into military commanders. It is brutal and scary. I kept forgetting that I was reading about kids around the age of 6 to 13. Ender is 6 years old at the start of the book and when the first part is over he is only 11. Ender is shown as someone who doesn't like to hurt people but at the same time he does everything he can to survive which means he has to hurt and injure somebody else quite badly. He hates it and is afraid to become like his brother.
He has been born just so he can go to the military school in space and by playing computer mind and war games learn how to fight the enemy. In order to make him what they want he is set against his classmates and never left anywhere long enough to become real friends with anyone.


I read this book for the 2012 Sci-Fi Challenge I am taking part in. The Pern trilogy that I have just read is also Sci-Fi but I didn't feel they fit the challenges of Want to challenge yourself to read outside your comfort zone in 2012? as they were re-reads and not outside my comfort zone of reading. Ender's Game was outside my comfort zone and I am pleased I have read it.


This book qualifies for:  
100 books in a year Reading Challenge 2012, 
Goodreads 2012 Reading Challenge, 
2012 Ebook Challenge
2012 Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge
2012 Sci-Fi Challenge 

No comments:

Post a Comment