Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Un Lun Dun by China miéville

What is Un Lun Dun?
It is London through the looking glass, an urban Wonderland of strange delights where all the lost and broken things of London end up . . . and some of its lost and broken people, too–including Brokkenbroll, boss of the broken umbrellas; Obaday Fing, a tailor whose head is an enormous pin-cushion, and an empty milk carton called Curdle. Un Lun Dun is a place where words are alive, a jungle lurks behind the door of an ordinary house, carnivorous giraffes stalk the streets, and a dark cloud dreams of burning the world. It is a city awaiting its hero, whose coming was prophesied long ago, set down for all time in the pages of a talking book.

When twelve-year-old Zanna and her friend Deeba find a secret entrance leading out of London and into this strange city, it seems that the ancient prophecy is coming true at last. But then things begin to go shockingly wrong. From Goodreads.

Okay, this book I was kind of forced to read. My husband is a huge fan of China Miéville and his New Weird books, his favourite being Kraken. He has told me so much about these books and they just sounded way too weird for me. Then this YA book comes along and as he told me about it, I thought that it didn't sound too bad so I might try it.
No regrets. I really enjoyed it. The twist with the main characters, the dangerous giraffes and especially his play on words that is ongoing throughout the book. Not being British I am sure I missed some of the wordplay but what I did get was brilliant. By the way I adore Curdle. I still don't think I am ready for his "adult" books though.

This book qualifies for: 
100 books in a year Reading Challenge 2012, 
Goodreads 2012 Reading Challenge, 
2012 Ebook Challenge,
A-Z  Book Challenge 2012,
2012 Where are you reading Challenge,
2012 Book Blogger Recommendation Challenge (number 119)

No comments:

Post a Comment